Follow @aftermatchftbl for all the latest!

Red Dragons FOUR Goal Blitz “WREX” Sky Blues FA Cup Hopes

If you’re one of those who thinks Clubs have less enthusiasm for the F.A. Cup, and it’s lost its magic, then you should have been at Coventry on Saturday. 

Seven goals, 10 if it wasn’t for the woodwork, a sending off, a penalty and a giant killing of sorts, this pulsating cup tie had it all. 

Phil Parkinson’s Wrexham couldn’t be accused of concentrating solely on promotion from the National League, as the Sky Blues found out. Indeed in an interview with us earlier this week, Parkinson told The Aftermatch he was looking forward to the game and that it was a welcome opportunity for his side to test themselves against Championship opposition. 


Roared on by a vociferous travelling support, Wrexham began the game with real intent, catching their hosts cold. As we passed the quarter hour mark, they were already 2-0 up through Sam Dalby’s towering header and Elliot Lee’s cross-come-shot which sneaked past the floundering Simon Moore in the Coventry goal, who was seemingly distracted by the lurking Paul Mullin. 

The Sky Blues needed a reaction. Kasey Palmer struck the post with a free kick and they got themselves back in the tie when Ben Sheaf fired home from 12 yards following Martyn Waghorn’s lay-off. 

The Championship side began to assert themselves, but in first half stoppage time Wrexham restored their two goal advantage. O’connor nodding home from Dalby’s headed pass. 


If Coventry City fans went into the second half thinking it couldn’t get any worse – they were wrong. 

Jonathan Panzo was sent off for deliberate handball after blocking Max Cleworthy’s goal bound effort. Paul Mullin duly dispatched the resulting penalty, sending Moore the wrong way. 

Credit to Coventry 4-1, and a man down they didn’t capitulate as Wrexham pressed for a fifth.

They stormed back as Palmer hit the post again, before assisting star striker Viktor Gyorkeres in pulling a goal back. 

Minutes later the Championship side further reduced their arrears through Palmer’s free kick that left Howard static in the Wrexham goal. 


Coventry spent the last quarter knocking on the door as they laid siege to the Red Dragon’s goal. 

Gyorkeres saw an effort tipped onto the post by Howard who also saved on the goal line in the dying moments.

The Welsh side held firm and saw out seven minutes of added time to book a place in the fourth round and a plum home tie against Championship frontrunners Sheffield Utd.